Pages

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Classroom Library

I was in my classroom today and thought that the only thing that I could handle was the library.

Keeping my books organized and making re-shelving books easy for 5 year-olds has always been a goal of mine.  Here are a few pictures of what I have going right now.

I have character baskets that I have carried through frim my days of kindergarten.  I do author of the month with different books but these are the characters that the children are most comfortable with and the pictures on the ends of the buckets make it easy for them to put them back in the correct basket. (The bottom red bucket is Clifford...he needs a label)


For the rest of my fiction books, I organize them by author's last name.  I mark the corner of the books with a letter that corresponds to buckets with those letters.  I do not worry too much about having multiple letters in a bucket.  This makes it easy for me to find a book that I want to use for any spur of the moment lesson. 



 For my non-fiction books, I organize them into 2 groups.  The first group is non-fiction books about animals.  I have a TON of these books!  I put a bright orange sticker in the corner of these books and there are 4 spots on the top of the book cart where they can go.  I apologize for those disgusting-looking labels! ICK!

The second half of that cart belongs to non-fiction books that are NOT about animals.  These books include books about plants, racecars, families, weather etc... I use bright pink stickers in the corners of those books so that they can easily be placed in the book cart.


After taking these pictures, I went home and immediately made NEW cart labels, laminated them and put them on the cart.  Rest easily....they are pretty again....


How does everyone out there organize their library?


No comments:

Post a Comment