Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Is it a Frog or a Tadpole?

Friday seems to be "cram-as-much-science-in-as-we-possibly-can" day!  I have actually enjoyed it because it really keeps us very focused and not so fragmented.  Last week we worked on our Frog and Toad Venn Diagram.  Our job this week was to find more facts about the toads (since that is what we have in our tank--shh--don't tell).  I was really lacking wall space to hang this HUGE chart so I hung it out in the hallway. It is funny how many kids from other classrooms have been talking about frogs and toads.  they have even been offering details to add!

One thing that I have been doing during our observation time is to put the tadpole bucket under the document camera and project them up onto the Smartboard.  They are so easy for EVERYONE to see.  Seriously? How did I live without this tool?  If you have a document camera, how do you use yours?  I would love to know!

GIANT tadpoles!
Sometimes, up close is better!
     
Tadpole/document camera set-up

When we were finished with our observation recording sheets, we did some good old-fashioned book looking!  There really are some awesomely disgusting toads and frogs out there!
I gave the kids some choices at the end of our time.  They could either look at books, write an acrostic poem about our classroom visitors or write a poem about them.  I was pleasantly surprised at how many kids wanted to write the poetry.  I got some pretty great stuff!
 What will we do for our Friday Science Day tomorrow??????

Bee the Change~

2 comments:

  1. Friday Science Day! I like that idea. We usually have a "fun day" for the last hour...but I might have to borrow that idea for next year. A document camera would be awesome!! Maybe one of these days it will happen for me. :-)

    First Grade Delight
    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad I found your blog today! I am your newest follower:) Stop by and visit me...

    learnplayandhavefun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete