Pages

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Cascarones!

Today I got to participate in a really fun, cultural, playful activity. In my classroom, I have 5 girls that are English Language Learners. They leave my room every day to go and work with one of my school's amazing ESL teachers, Cori Smith. She always does very creative and thoughtful activities with the girls and this was NO exception. She brought a tradition that she celebrates with her own family and shared it with us. Cori and the girls made a bunch of cascarones. Cascarones are confetti-filled eggs. Below are pictures of these beautiful eggs.

The best part of cascarones is that you get to crack them over the heads of unsuspecting victims. The girls had a get-together and "confettied" our school principal, counsellor, secretaries and PE teacher. Guess who was next? Alina "dropped" a dollar on the floor near me and asked me to pick it up. When I bent down to pick it up.......you guessed it! CRACK! (Just so you know, I may or may not have known this was coming)
Confetti-head
Cori then gave ME a cascarone to crack on someone's head. Colin was my "lucky" guy!
(Very blurry but captures the fun!)
I had a little extra confetti in the egg so I was able to spread it around!
After the messy fun, Mrs. Smith gathered the children and explained the history of the cascarone and how she and her family enjoy them at Easter time! That is not a hat she is wearing, by the way.
Glitter hair!
The Cascarone Crew!
If you would like to learn more about cascarones, click here!

Bee the Change~

No comments:

Post a Comment