Pages

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Rachel's Challenge

This year, our school is participating in Rachel's Challenge.  It is a program that focuses on kindness and the power of one person being able to start a chain reaction.  We are only 14 days into the school year and I am already feeling the positive energy in our school.  To read more about Rachel's Challenge, click HERE.
                                            

We have a team in our school that is working on implementing this program this year and they have come up with some great things for our kids to do.  The lesson plans that came as a part of the program are very age appropriate and we did the first one for first grade yesterday.  We read the book Giraffes Can't Dance.  We discussed people's differences and talked about kindness.  I thought that this was a great book BEFORE and now I am just as sure!

After we read the story and discussed the acts of kindness shown, we completed the September page in our Rachel's Challenge journals.  The prompt was "I am kind when I......." Here are some of the responses from my very KIND firsties!

I am kind when I raise my hand to not make the class stop learning.

I am kind when I include people.

I am kind when I help my Mom put things in my camper.
Stay tuned this year for more Rachel's Challenge posts!


1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of that. I'll have to check it out. I love the sweet activity your kids did.

    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers

    ReplyDelete